redirect

Sunday, June 27, 2010

INTERVIEW: The Whole Molko

We have moved! Our blog is now at www.paper-deer.com


If there's one band that holds a special spot in my heart, it's Melbourne grunge rockers The Whole Molko. More than a year ago when I first had the random idea of dabbling with music journalism, I managed to convince The Whole Molko to let me interview them. I may have also lied and told them I was a music journalist at the time. I have since written more than 500 pieces since that first fateful interview, and the band have progressed from being a grungy garage band (which I may have subtly and subconsciously insulted in my interview by describing them as "perhaps not Melbourne’s next musical genius") to being the energetic, talented and crazy alternative outfit they are today.

The four-piece will be launching their long-time-coming EP Buyer's Remorse at Revolver Upstairs on Saturday July 10 with special guests The Villain's Lair, The Quarters and William Tell.


I had a chat to The Whole Molko's lead guitarist and self-proclaimed band nazi David Crowe about their debut EP Buyer's Remorse.

Tell us a secret about The Whole Molko that no one outside the band knows about...
We sometimes wish we were Weezer, but not often. Also, Figgers once tea bagged Nick on the cheek.

Technically that's untrue because I knew about the teabagging. Anyway, are you excited about Buyer’s Remorse?
Incredibly! I feel like we haven’t been doing enough in the public eye for too long. Nothing will ever compare to strumming that first chord in front of a crowd of eager faces. We’ve needed this EP so people have something to take home rather than just having to remember the experience, as good an experience as it may have been.

What genre or sound does it fit into?
I’d say we’re under the blanket of alternative, as much as I hate calling the genre that. We’re very grungy, so there is a lot of Nirvana and Pumpkins in there, as well as a lot of Radiohead and Muse influences, particularly in the more melodic and piano-based parts. We try to incorporate some more modern, indie elements into our sound as well, although I wouldn’t really call us an indie band. Although, that is about as broad a blanket as alternative is these days.

How did the name Buyer’s Remorse come about?
It was a lyric in the last track of the EP. There wasn’t a lot of thought put into it. I think we liked it because it made fun of itself, if you purchase this EP, you’ll regret it. Ironically, we’ll be giving them out for free and have no intention of charging for it.

Have you ever bought something really shit and regretted it later?
All the time. I used to have a really bad habit of buying really terrible CDs or DVDs just because I had a little money in my pocket. That and videogames. I recently bought Metro 2033 on Xbox and I don’t think I’ve given it more than half an hour of my precious time. I’ve learnt to be a bit more frugal and informed before I pull my wallet out now.
I hear that you were going to wearing a dress for your EP launch but failed. What was that about?
Apparently they don’t make dresses for giant men at cheapo places.

That sucks. Anything else special planned instead?
We have a blistering set mapped out, and a special guest may be making an appearance during one of the songs.
What will you do to people who don’t turn up to your EP launch?
I will hang them from the highest ceiling and dispense forty lashes.

Why did The Whole Molko decide to make the EP free? Aren’t musicians the poorest people alive?
We didn’t really want to break the stereotype. We decided the best way to gain as much coverage amongst a penny-pinching crowd is to give away as much free stuff as possible. This EP is more of an investment in our future. If this goes well, we can hopefully start to make money out of this.

Each member of The Whole Molko has a Twitter account named after a Spice Girl... How do each of you represent a Spice Girl?
Tezos (Sporty) fancies himself somewhat of an athlete and enjoys sharing his patent fitness secrets. Nick (Scary) used to have wild hair... but he cut it. Figgers (Baby) was the last addition to the band as well as being pretty short. I (Posh) am simply the best dressed of the band. We also have a Ginger Molko, he is part of our official entourage and he has red hair. It just worked perfectly.

Also, aren’t you a bit male and not living in the nineties to be a Spice Girl? Or is it retro cool?
We’re cool like Homer Simpson is in that episode of The Simpsons where he has the flashback to high school and he’s drinking from a water fountain and that girl comes up to him and says he’s cool and then her friend says she is so mean… We’re not cool.

DATES:
  • July 1: The Prague, Thornbury 
  • July 10: Revolver Upstairs, Prahran [EP launch, free CDs on entry]
  • July 13: Brunswick Hotel, Brunswick
LINKS:

No comments:

Post a Comment