redirect

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

INTERVIEW: Rosie Burgess

We have moved! Our blog is now at www.paper-deer.com




If there's one thing that is noticeable about the blues and roots crowd, it's that tight-knit sense of community and those oddly stronger-than-blood ties between musicians. Maybe it's something in the music, maybe it's something about the lifestyle, but there's no denying it.

Australian roots and blues musician Rosie Burgess is no different. Rising in the Australian music scene, Rosie's close bond between her and her backing band have led to the common misconception that they're actually biologically related. Even with the band's latest addition in bass player Tim Bennett, you can probably hedge your bets that these musical comrades are already more like an adopted family that just a few talented musicians on tour.


Paper-Deer had a chat to the woman herself, Rosie, about her adopted family, her latest release Leap and the music scene.



The trio are often mistaken for sisters. Do you feel the bond between the three of you is stronger than blood?
I have really felt like that. I’m not really the kind of musician that wants to change band members every week, and having found these girls, my aim has been to hang on to them for as long as possible! That said, our violinist Sophie is actually about to embark on a European travel adventure, and we’re going to be joined by a new member, Tim Bennett, on electric and upright bass. I think the really important thing for me is that the people I play with feel like family. We can razz around together and have lots of fun and we also know when to give each other some space. We get each other.

Is the Rosie Burgess Trio more a showcase for you as a songwriter with two backing musicians, or more like a collaborative band?
Yeah it’s definitely more like a collaborative band. I do write all the songs, but the others pretty much design their own parts, as well as giving me feedback on my parts and arrangements, which is great.

From an outsider’s perspective, it seems that there is a lot of bonding and a strong community in the blues/roots/folk scene in Australia. Is it really like that?
I think so, and not just in Australia, but across the U.S. and Canada too. I think these kind of scenes lend themselves to a community vibe – there’s lots of grassroots music going on, from jams to gigs to festivals, and most of the performers I’ve met seem really open and keen to share their experience. We regularly team up with other bands and share our resources and help each other out with stuff – where’s the best place to play here, can you help me find a PA over there, etc etc. I guess in every area of life you’ll find people who’d like to remain apart, but mostly I’ve just met really excellent people, writing totally excellent, honest music and it’s been so great.

Paper-Deer read somewhere that you run an independent record label…  What is that like?
Well, I don’t wear suits n ties but I do get to say “present” when we have meetings... Nah, it’s really low key. It’s been a little avenue for me to release my own music and help out a few other artists along the way – again, that sharing resources thing. Sometimes I’ve had a little extra cash (not very often!) and I’ve used it to invest in some other music that I love that I wish the world was hearing. It’s been really fun but it’s not something I focus on a lot.

You’ve played at some impressive festivals and have shared stages with some great musicians. Any particular artists that you’re dying to play with?
I cross my fingers I’ll get to play with Melissa Ferrick (USA) one day, and I’d love to play with Mia Dyson again – she’s so awesome. I love playing with other musicians who you feel like you could watch every night for months, cos sometimes that’s exactly what happens when you tour together!

Was Leap about jumping? Or something more clever than that?
Leap is really about a personal leap for me. It’s a collection of songs that cross the boundaries between folk and roots and blues and I guess, even pop, but the primary focus is on the songs themselves, those little glimpses of truth that required me to leap. It’s a really personal album. It sounds funny to say that, because you’d think that all albums are really personal, and I’m sure they are, but this particular album saw me through some really big times and I tried really hard not to make it too cryptic or to edit too much – I didn’t want the real feeling behind the songs to be hidden, I wanted to really say it as it was.

How can we pick up a copy for ourselves?
Well, gosh. Picking one up is easy – they’re just light little packages you can slip in your pocket... You order it online at www.rosieburgess.com or pick it up at one of our shows, or ask for it at your favourite local record shop. I think they’re about $25.

UPCOMING SHOWS:
  • Friday December 3: Folk Rhythm and Life Festival, El Dorado
  • Sunday December 19: The Bendigo Hotel

LINKS:
BY PAIGE X. CHO

2 comments: