redirect

Thursday, October 28, 2010

INTERVIEW: We All Want To

We have moved! Our blog is now at www.paper-deer.com


The Madmen. Screamfeeder. Solo work. We All Want To. Brisbanite Tim Steward is one dedicated musician, hopping from music project to music project. His latest creative outlet We All Want To sees the singer-songwriter pairing up with four other talented musicians to create energetic indie pop that has been labeled as Tim's most ambitious work so far.



Paper-Deer had a chat to Tim Steward on names he's not allowed to use, their debut album and walking about with his arse hanging out (classy).
 
From what I've heard, the band spent months agonising over what to call the band, then ended up with something you randomly misheard in a restaurant. Care to share what the other possibilities that you rejected were?
Well, I'm not telling you the other main contender because I plan to use it for my next band, but the other big one down the line was Steve and Gloria - named after two characters in Douglas Coupland's The Gum Thief. Skye and I use that one sometimes when we do duo shows. I've always wanted to call an album Elephant Escalator Elevator, but I've never been allowed.

We All Want To’s debut self-titled album took over a year and a half to record. Was it a conscious decision to record it leisurely and mull over it, or was the lengthy time due to constraints and commitments?
 A bit of both really. I guess we weren't consciously working towards an album till about halfway through. In the end we learned a lot of lessons about which guys to take which types of songs to in future, and we also learned that anyone who knows how to set up a mic correctly, get a good performance out of the band and pay attention to detail during the mixing will get pretty similar results with us! I'm such a control freak I'm always looking over peoples' shoulders anyway; firing off a constant tirade of "brilliant inspired suggestions".

The five of you have very different musical backgrounds and tastes - indie rock, folk, drone and pop. Is it ever hard working with musicians used to playing a completely different style?
Again the control freak side of me says yes, but the mature adult who has learned to relinquish a bit of musical control says that no. It's been quite fun. I'm a real one-trick pony – I have one way of playing guitar, the "Sid Vicious" style of constant downstrokes, never missing a beat. When I'm in a room with someone more versatile it throws me a bit!

I hear that you already have a second album's worth of new material. Is it frustrating promoting your first album when you've already got loads of new stuff to get excited over?
Nah, it's completely standard. It's always been like that for me, and I'm sure it's the same for other bands. You just have to learn to be patient.

What does each member of We All Want To bring to the mix?
Well Josh came through like a champ the other night and brought all the fixings for hot toddies to practice. Dan was feeling a bit off, and Josh had the scotch, lemon and ginger going within minutes. Josh also brings the lead guitar, he has a bit of a "Melbourne" feel to his playing, quite reverb-y and very wiry. Dan brings in patience, level headedness and humility. Todd brings in arrangement skills that put us all to shame, some real musicianship, jeans with ripped crotches, vodka and stubble. Skye brings in her flute, her lyric-remembering skills, songs and neck tatts. I bring in management, songs, discipline, rules, work ethic, lunch.

What city does the band call "home"?
Oh, Brisbane, for sure. We all live in Brisbane except for Todd, who is in Melbourne. Home is 4064, 4065, 4059. Josh lives on the southside of Brisbane… we're gonna have to do something about that.

Are you excited about playing in Melbourne?
Yes! Our favourite things about Melbourne are the food, kebabs, kebabs with chips in them, local pubs and non-apathetic music audiences.

Any embarrassing secrets and funny tales that you can share with Paper-Deer?
I was walking up the beach one time, Bondi Beach, the middle of summer, it was jam packed. Kellie and Dean (Screamfeeder) were pissing themselves - my shorts had given way right up the back and my whole arse was hanging out. I had no idea. It almost acts as some kind of metaphor for our musical careers – blissfully unaware, having the time of our lives.


UPCOMING SHOWS:
  • Saturday October 30: Birmingham Hotel
  • Sunday October 31: Pure Pop
LINKS:

No comments:

Post a Comment